Then we shifted from Greece (Patmos) to Turkey (Kusadasi) on a comfortable, large ferry exclusively for our use. The passage took over four hours but time flies when one lies down and snoozes. The crew were OK, but distant - I presume they were wary of any group who actually chose to visit Greece, which is beyond comprehension for many Turks.
The ferry trip from Patmos was very pleasant and we celebrated Mass on board. Yet again a very prayerful experience against a panorama of Greek islands close by on one side and Turkey a mere kilometre or two away on the other.
Mass on Kusadasi FerryKusadasi was a surprise. I expected a dozy little fishing village but instead we were wedged between three huge cruise ships. Two were from the US and were huge - as in ginormous! At a guess, they would have to house the odd 10,000 people or so (OK, Jacqui found out later they have only 3000-4000 passengers and crew on each). One was 'Celebrity Equinox' and the other was 'Celebrity can't remember'.
US Cruise Ships
Why would you go to sea on a cruise to 'get away from it all' on a boat with thousands of others? Bizarre! Which reminds me - all along the waterfront is a bazaar, one of the originals. Around this and further beyond is a very extensive shopping area geared up for the European and American tourists. So I might not find Benni's Leather Shop for these hand-bags I was thinking about. It is a huge town and the accommodation, about ten minutes drive out of town, is very comfortable. The food was superb at Dinner tonight, probably the best so far. The desserts were rather good as well.
Tomorrow we head for Ephesus nearby here and it should be very interesting.
Private ferry! Not bad! Looking forward to hearing more about Turkey - knowledge levels are pretty low on the Turkey front!
ReplyDeleteSounds like it's all going well. I'm with Jane... I don't know much about Turkey so looking forward to hearing about it. And I do hope that you finding a good leather shop!!! hehehehe.
ReplyDeleteI've looked up the cruise ships for you and the Celebrity Equinox cruise ship only holds about 2850 passengers (and about 1250 crew), although in the photos it does look a whole lot bigger than that! The others cruise ships from the 'celebrity cruise group' that are around that area at this time are (I think)... the Celebrity Century (1814 passengers), Celebrity Solstice (2850 passengers) and Celebrity Summit (2034 passengers). I couldn't find actual dates of when each one is in each port to figure out what the other one you saw was.