Headed for the monasteries of Meteora. Apparently only 6 left now but there was 20 or so at some stage in the Byzantine or Roman past.
Only one night at a time for quite a while now, which means we don’t really unpack. Later we get multiple nights in each hotel which will make it easier. Quite comfortable travelling. Wary of the drinking water now we are outside
These plains are so extensive. I am sitting in the back seat typing away. We are going through another town and have been on these plains for over an hour. Many half-finished buildings with concrete floors, two or three levels with some levels partially finished but not inhabited.Seems common in the areas we have driven through.
Bloody unbelievable! As we drove towards Kallabaka (or Kallambaka on some maps) after a short visit to a genuine Byzantine Icon factory or shop, these hills loomed in the distance.
We drove directly at them for some time before realising that our destination was under them. Spectacular is probably an understatement. Perched on hilltops that mountain goats would avoid were these Greek Orthodox monasteries.
The pictures speak for themselves but I’m sure that a google on ‘Monasteries of Meteora’ would yield a few photos. At the risk of repetition – bloody unbelievable! We went into two of these places and the views and placement were sensational. I was stoked by the geological setting and need to find out the geological history. The guide is now a little better informed about geology - but I was gentle. One of the monasteries we went past was used in a James Bond film (I think the guide said ‘For Your Eyes Only’)
A very long day and another early start tomorrow – a punishing schedule – but I will go and line up for the hotel’s internet access point to try and upload this with some photos or at least email some photos out to Jane or Kate or Jacqui. Shades of the early journos trying to get their story out on any available flight!
I now appreciate Greek Iconography much more than I did previously (which was close to zero), however there is a risk at present of iconographitis. I think I have seen enough for a little while.
To
Great to read about Dad - not sure I'd be confident enough to step into the monasteries though! The fact that there was 20 and there are now 6 reminds me of the fact the '12 apostles' are now 8 on the great ocean road and how they just crumbled... Yikes!
ReplyDeleteUploaded the pics for you too... Seems there's 2 things you like better here... the bandwidth and the coffee...