A long day which started about 5.30am for a 6.30am departure from Assos, heading north to Istanbul via Gallipoli. There was a range of emotions at the two sites we visited, Anzac Cove and Lone Pine. Overwhelming sadness at both. Never before have I experienced the sense of hallowed ground to such an extent as experienced here. Not sure if there was a dry eye in the place; we all needed some private time and space to sort out the enormity of the happenings on this soil. (I know we are supposed to forgive and forget, but it is hard not to feel anger towards those who sent these young blokes to certain death and then kept ordering the subsequent groups to the same fate).
Anzac Cove
The Sphinx from Anzac Cove
From Anzac Cove looking to right of the Sphinx
After spending some time at Anzac Cove, we drove around and up to Lone Pine where the monument and cemetery have been erected and celebrated Mass at this spot. Quite a profound and powerful experience and one I will not forget.
Lone Pine Cemetery
Mass at Lone Pine Cemetery
The Lone Pine at Lone Pine (replanted by Australians from seeds recovered from original)
I am convinced that words and photos don’t convey the essence of this place. I have seen thousands of photos of Gallipoli sites, but still had no real idea of the size of the place or the scale and the relationship between sites. I think it is one of the places you have to visit to appreciate. I want to come back and roam. We did not see the Nek or any trenches etc so a return visit with less time pressure is a must. It has been an emotionally draining day, but one I will never forget.
I am convinced that words and photos don’t convey the essence of this place. I have seen thousands of photos of Gallipoli sites, but still had no real idea of the size of the place or the scale and the relationship between sites. I think it is one of the places you have to visit to appreciate. I want to come back and roam. We did not see the Nek or any trenches etc so a return visit with less time pressure is a must. It has been an emotionally draining day, but one I will never forget.
We arrived in Istanbul about 6pm (nice hotel, very well located) and had dinner at the hotel’s roof-top restaurant looking out over the famous Blue Mosque.
Blue Mosque Istanbul
Went for a walk after dinner around this area which is alive with restaurants and shops. The Turkish people are very friendly and hospitable and always want to make conversation with Aussies (especially if they think they might get a sale). Did not realise Istanbul was so big with 20 million people, which is Australia’s population. Looking forward to a visit to the Grand Bazaar.
Travelling on the roads in Turkey is scary! Obviously double white lines and solid white lines are advisory only. If you want to overtake – then go right ahead. I made the mistake of paying some attention to our bus driver today. It was much better when I was blissfully ignorant.
You have described your experience at Gallipoli very well leon. It is one site that I really want to visit sometime, and your experience just affirms my intention.
ReplyDeleteYou are having an amazing trip. Keep up the fantastic descriptions and pics too